If you want to sell your house for the best sale price, using a top real estate agent whose competence has been proven through the use of vetting criteria is the most reliable and least risky way to go.
The rule of thumb for selling a house is to set your standards high when choosing a real estate agent because that decision alone will determine the fate of your sale.
So where do you find that pool of 'agent interviewees' and what exactly defines a top real estate agent?
What defines A Top Real Estate Agent?
One who sells the most properties? Or one who sells fewer? A high profile agent? Or one who isn't? A big real estate brand or a bespoke brand?
Volume of sales is really just a number and doesn't prove much more than that. Do high volume real estate agents hold out for the best sale prices for their vendors or will they sell at any price? How will you know?
Every property type, location and vendor are different so there is no one size fits all. What may be a top real estate agent for one property may be completely inappropriate for the next.
Proof of a top real estate agent
Finding a competent real estate agent who has been vetted and tailored to you, your property and location is what defines a top real estate agent.
For example, Agent Finder NZ uses over 20 indicators across five categories to vet real estate agents and is the only place in New Zealand that does so, for free.
For more information, read reviews from people who used the service when selling their house.
A top real estate agent is a prepared real estate agent, one who has meticulously planned your house sale from day one. A person who doesn't compromise quality for speed so your first day live online captures the optimum number of clicks to your listing.
Have a look at this chart demonstrating the impact day one live online has.
The proof of a top real estate agent becomes very evident at the point of sale because that is the moment when buyers demand due diligence reports, often requiring insertions, deletions, amendments and follow ups from valuers, builders, insurers, lawyers, inspectors, councils, banks, mortgage brokers and more.
It might not be you or your house that makes it complicated, it might be your buyer(s) and their situation, finance or an issue with a property they need to sell to purchase yours. Real estate agency work often requires project management skills.
If you need help identifying a top real estate agent, request a short list of vetted real estate agents from Agent Finder first, then you can compare them - it's free and can be a lifesaver.
COMPARE APPRAISALS TO FIND MY TOP AGENT
An easy way to spot the difference between average and top real estate agents is by using a specially designed Agent Questionnaire.
This will provide all the questions to ask real estate agents when you interview them, so you can objectively compare their responses, recommendations, fees and commission, character and competencies.
We recommend interviewing at least two but three is better, so you can better compare. See Questions to ask a real estate agent for more information.
Once the property appraisals have been completed, you will then be able to compare real estate agents' recommendations and how they have established how much your house is worth to sell.
This is a proven way to help identify a top real estate agent and be confident about achieving the best sale price.
How to price your home to sell can be confronting and something you should be on the same page about with your real estate agent from the outset.
If you are inexperienced, needing guidance or a seasoned investor short on time, this is a streamlined way to make fully informed decisions, quickly and without risk.
It astounds us how people choose a real estate agent to sell what is often their biggest asset, anything from referring to a flyer in the letterbox to 'giving someone a go'.
Knowing how to choose a top real estate agent can be daunting, especially if your short on experience so it's good to know there is independent advice available, not related to buying and selling real estate brands.
Information To Help You Make Better Real Estate Decisions
The Process Of Selling A House
- The process of selling a house can be tricky. For instance, just when you think the deal is done, it can fall over. Understanding how it works can save your a lot of money. Find out more about the process of selling a house.
Examples Of Documents Required For Selling
- A House Selling a house is a complex and legal process involving numerous legal documents that need to be signed, interpreted, amended or have clauses added or information deleted. The consequences of mistakes, omissions or misconduct can all be avoided with reputable advice and resources. You can see examples of legal documents here.
Independent Real Estate Advice And Resources
- You may be depending on selling your house to help leverage your financial position, so getting it wrong can be very costly indeed.
- It can be hard to find the information you need on what is involved prior to talking to real estate companies and agents.
- For example, independent information about real estate fees and commission rates is almost non-existent.
Selling internationally is a specialist area, requiring a top real estate agent with a much higher standard of service, knowledge, personal attributes and competencies - the X factor.
Don't underestimate the importance of this because many sales are conducted with international buyers.
A New Zealand real estate agent selling a property internationally must be confident in negotiating million dollar sale prices with confident million dollar buyers.
Often the sale is being negotiated over the phone across thousands of kilometres and handling it well can make tens of thousands or even a six figure difference in your sale price.
Buyers of high priced real estate are often not from the area or country in which your property is located.
This means the ability to manage long distance negotiation, communication and translation, plus having a high level of knowledge and attention to detail, are essential qualities required by the real estate agent. But that's not all.
Ensure you choose a vetted real estate agent who can manage what are often complex property sales, more of a project. After all, you might only have one buyer coming forward and the risk of losing them is always possible with the wrong agent.
Day one live online is the single most important day for any property sale, but the financial impact of not having everything perfect on day one for a luxury home can be greater.
You need a top real estate agent to give you the best chance of a great result.
Depth Of Agent Knowledge
- When considering real estate agents there are important parts of the long distance process that sellers can overlook.
- Signing of Sale and Purchase Agreements and any special conditions need to be facilitated.
- Lawyers need to be liaised with, GST and tax obligations understood and exchange rates taken into consideration.
Immigration And Cultural Awareness
- Even familiarisation with immigration matters can be needed to help facilitate the sale successfully.
- Real estate agents selling high end urban or lifestyle properties must have a high level of attention to detail, be astute and have the international knowledge of different cultures and their ways of doing business.
- Incompetence can lose your sale so beware.
There are many agents who like to sell luxury homes in New Zealand but the quality of service can vary a lot.
Experience And Competence From Start to Finish
Due diligence in managing all aspects of a property sale requires a top real estate agent who is very experienced, competent and capable, from the point of signing an agency agreement to negotiating your sale price through to settlement of the sale.
Often a luxury property is a lifestyle property, so in addition, understanding all the ins and outs of these property types is required.
Managing the luxury real estate process with all this in mind will help you achieve the best possible price.
If you want need help finding a top agent, take advantage of our free service. Call us on 0800 789 532.
You might also like:
- Sell for more with multiple offers
- Getting an accurate real estate appraisal
- Checklist before signing an agency agreement with a real estate company